PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

780x90

Hello! If you're new to Miss Lovie, I'd love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe by RSS feed or by email! Also be sure to follow on Facebook and Twitter for more Miss Lovie goodness!

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Another Fabric Flower Tutorial

I wasn't sure what to name this flower. Any suggestions? 

This flower is really easy, but takes a little more time than others to create.  

I got the inspiration from this felt rose I made back at Valentine's Day for my Heart Wreath
To make the felt rose I used a tutorial at  The Purl Bee
To make the felt rose I used a tutorial at  The Purl Bee.
 I didn't want to use felt, though, so I came up with my own way to use cotton.

Step 1: Create your flower layers.






(Please excuse the bad quality of pictures here. My craft room is not well-lit at night.)


Now you have one flower layer. Make 3 or 4 more. I think I used 5.

Step 2: Create your ruffly center 
Take a strip of fabric about 3 inches wide, fold in half and press. Then do a basting stitch along the raw edges of the fabric. Pull one of the threads at then end to create the ruffle.
Fold down the end here to hide that raw edge of fabric.
Tip: Don't cut the thread you used to ruffle the strip of fabric until the very end of this step. If you cut it, too soon, the ruffle will start to un-ruffle. 
As you can see, this part does not have to be that pretty or perfect.
Now you can cut that thread coming out the back that was used to ruffle your strip of fabric.
Done with the center!

Step 3: Assemble your flower.

Your flower will still be flat here. In order to make it look a little more natural (because blue polka dot flowers are so natural-looking), you need to add a few dots of hot glue to the sides of the ruffled center and then fold the petals up around it and hold.
This will make the petals come up around the center better.
Done!
It might have looked better with the same color felt as the cotton behind it. I haven't found any royal blue felt though, and I had white on hand.

I wanted to make a few more in some different fabrics, but ran out of time this week. 
Research paper is due next week. After that I should be able to get more posts up. Yay.

8 comments:

Sanja said...

Beautiful! Thanks for the tut!

Crafting Queen said...

Great tutorial, thank you!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

this is so adorable! i love it


PS: I'm doing a giveaway on my blog for $20 to my etsy shop, so if you like pretty jewelry you should come enter!! http://mygirlishwhims.blogspot.com/2011/04/my-spring-fling-giveaway.html

All Things Fee said...

Great Tutorial! will be trying soon!


Would love for you to share and stop by my new link party!
http://allthingsfee.blogspot.com/2011/04/want-to-party.html

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

This is a great tutorial. I had wondered if felt would give fabric flowers a little more stiffness or "oomph" should I say. I'll be giving this try. There are a lot of flower designs I like but regular fabric would be too flat or floppy. You have solved my dilemna.

Janelle said...

I must make one of these. Love it.

Anonymous said...

Guyie I love the flower, I would call it Pretty In Blue, because that is what I thought when I saw it.

Ana Love Craft said...

Hi,
I love your flower tutorials , I am your new follower from My Girlish Whims.
Have a look at my blog I’ll be so glad.
Hugs from Portugal

Ana Love Craft

www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

invisible ad