PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

780x90

Hello! If you're new to Miss Lovie, I'd love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe by RSS feed or by email! Also be sure to follow on Facebook and Twitter for more Miss Lovie goodness!

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Easter Flower Onesie Dress Tutorial

Today I'm guest posting over at Kiki Creates' All About Easter Event! Be sure to go over and check out my post and everything else she has going on for the event, too! Such cute ideas!


blog button final
If you're visiting from Kiki Creates, welcome!

Ready to see how to make my Sweet Easter Flower Onesie Dress?

I mixed two fabulous sewing tutorials to create this dress. 
 Target Flower Pillow Tutorial from I Create It

I couldn't wait to try either one of those tutorials and I'm excited that they both worked for this dress!

Step 1: Gather materials.
  • Onesie of a desired size. The tutorial is for a 6-9 month sized onesie. 
  • 1/4 yard of fabric for the skirt part (and sleeves if you want). 
  • Less than 1/8 yards of fabric for the flowers (3 different colors)
  • ric rac or other embellishment for flower stems and hem of the dress
  • matching thread (I used white on all flowers.) and pins
  • water soluble pen
  • circle template (a paint bottle worked for me)

Step 2: Make the dress.
Follow the directions on the Summer Onesie Tutorial to make the dress. She has instructions on how to make that sweet headband, and how to put the bird on, but I just used the dress directions. I wanted to add sleeves to mine, but ran out of time. It looked darling without them, but I love the look of them, too. I also did not add a strip to my skirt and instead sewed ric rac to the bottom hem of the dress. Embellish it how you want!

After I had the dress part made, I sewed matching ric rac to the bottom hem of the dress.

Step 2: Sew on Flowers
Once your dress is made, add the flower embellishments. Sew on the ric rac stems first.

Then use the  Target Flower Pillow Tutorial to sew on your flowers. 
First find a good item to trace circles with. My paint bottle seemed to be the perfect size. Use a water soluble pen to trace your circles above the stems. When drawing the circles for the flowers, be sure that some of the stem will get sewn under the flower. 
I tried one flower with the tube of fabric like the tutorial suggests, but it was a lot of work because the tubes were so tiny. I also thought the slightly frayed look might be cute, so I tried using just a strip of fabric.  

You can see in the picture above that the strip is about 1.5 in. wide and is folded in half. I'm not sure how long the strips were. I just cut the strip from a 45" wide fabric bolt and used the strip until I didn't need any more and cut the excess off when ready. 
As you sew, fold the strip over  towards the middle of the circle each time you get to the edge to stay within the circle. (Be sure to read the Target pillow tutorial for this step. She has great detailed instructions!)
After I finished each flower I sewed straight across the flower several times in different directions just to catch all those frayed edges and get the flowers to lay a little flatter. This step is probably optional, but I liked the way it made them look. 
If you want, add a sweet tag. I sewed this to the front and back of the backside of the onesie. 
Done!
To make the clip above, follow the steps to make the flower, but sew it onto a piece of felt, cut the felt out. Then cut out a leaf shape, sew it to felt and hot glue it to the back of the flower. Hot glue on an alligator clip to the back and you can clip it to any headband you want!
 Flower clip up close. 
Your sweet girl can wear it as shown or with the leaf more to the side. 

Sweetie.
Big thanks to my friend Rachel for volunteering her daughter, Adia, to be my model!

Enjoy! And thanks for reading!

19 comments:

kiki comin said...

Allie, it is so cute! Thanks so much for sharing it.:)

Little Sprinkles Of Fun said...

Awh...That is the sweetest outfit ever! Of course your little model is even sweeter than that! Way too cute! You did a great job on it! :)

Ashley Norris said...

Absolutely adorable!!!!

Kelly @livingcraftilyeverafter said...

This is SO cute! My BFF is having a baby girl soon, I should make her one of these! LOVE it!!

Found you through Fingerprints on the Fridge!

Kelly

PS- I am hosting a giveaway on my blog right now for free hair accessories and would love for you to come enter!

http://livingcraftilyeverafter.blogspot.com/2011/04/200-followers-and-giveaway.html

elizabeth said...

This dress is so sweet. And your model is too.

Little Miss Penny Wenny said...

Visiting from TT &J, that is absolutely darling! Wish I had a baby girl to make one for :)

sewhappiness said...

This is pure love:) Adorable!!! Ohhh I wish I could sew so well!!
I'm visiting from the hop at Thirty Handmade days, and I'm now following!! I want to see more of your cute stuff!!
Maybe if you get the chance you could come over to my blog @http://sewhappiness.blogspot.com

Hope you have a great weekend:)

Rachel said...

Very cute, I love the flowers.

PS, my best friend has a daughter by the same name.

Unknown said...

cute. blog, dress, and everything.

come link up

http://makinitdomestic.blogspot.com

Laura said...

That is so cute. I have a weekly series i do called fab five. Would it be ok for me to include a photo of your dress with a link back in my post? Please let me know. laura@realmomkitchen.com

heather {WhipperBerry} said...

what a talent my dear!!

kisses
heather

Lori Thompson said...

so stinkin cute!! I have 6 boys and want a little girl so i can make this adorable flower onesie-dress. LOVE IT!!

kate said...

great idea to mix two tutorials! i love the flowers.

Bella @ Bella before and after said...

Very very cute Allie!!! I've been a follower for a while, but haven't stopped by to say hi. Golly, that's what happens when you follow so many blogs, I think I need to go through them again. You've been making some great tutorials lately, and I've been missing them :(

Saw you on Luxe Blvd, today, and of course entered to win your awesome earrings YAYYYY!!!!

I love your tutorial here, and I don't have a baby anymore, but this could so work for big girls, too.

Hugs,
Bella :)**AMAZE ME AUGUST** @ Bella Before and After

Also I would LOVE to invite you to check out my new PINTEREST BOARDS let me know what you think!!
Thanks girl :)
I've just added some of your awesome tutorials to my boards there!!!

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...

Allie this is the cutest thing ever. The rosette garden is adorable! I have featured this as well today. Thanks again! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Sweet Peas and Bumblebees said...

This is such a cute idea!!!
Come and link up your idea tomorrow at our What I Made Wednesday Linky Party!!!

Alisa
Sweet Peas and Bumblebees
sweetpeasandbb.blogspot.com

Hadfield said...

Thanks so much for your creativity and the others that you combined to get your outfit. I have created a darling outfit for our granddaughter because of it...I wish I could (or knew how) to post a photo here and you could see it!!
Thanks again!

Hadfield said...

If you want to me to send you a photo, send me an email and I will send you a photo!!
tracy(dot)hadfield(at)usu(dot)edu

Crazy Onesie said...

That's it what i am looking for i got my full kit at your blog and now i am finding less prices which you will provide me as soon as possible.
Thanks



Animal Onesie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

invisible ad