PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

780x90

Hello! If you're new to Miss Lovie, I'd love for you to subscribe for free updates! You can subscribe by RSS feed or by email! Also be sure to follow on Facebook and Twitter for more Miss Lovie goodness!

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ombre Necklace Tutorial

Thanks to everyone who voted on So You Think You're Crafty last week! My Ombre Necklace ended up in 2nd place! Here it is -and a tutorial!-if you didn't see it last week! 

I'd love love for you to go on over and vote for your favorite "Let's Hear it for the Boys" craft! Voting ends Thursday and it's a close race right now!

The Ombre trend is so fun right now. I love it on anything-furniture, home decor, desserts... hair! What about on jewelry?! I love the idea of it making a statement with your accessories without being too over the top. I thought this Ombre Necklace was a great way to do just that.
  Since Ombre is such a trend right now in the crafting world, I really love it, but I also know it may not be around forever. I wanted to create something that would withstand the trend. The colors are so pretty and really pop against that white top. I think the necklace would be really great with a fancy dress or a simple t-shirt and jeans.

Want to make your own? It's really pretty easy. Let's do it.
Materials
Clockwise from left:
 wire cutters, flat nose pliers, bent nose pliers, round nose pliers
chain (a little less than 8 ft)
beads in graduating colors (teardrop beads work best for this design!)
2 jump rings
lobster clasp
head pins
First, create simple loops with all beads and head pins.
1. Place your bead on your pin 2. Bend the wire at a 90 degree angle over the bead. 3. Place your needle nose pliers above the angled wire and bend the wire over the needle nose as seen here and in step 4 below.
4. As explained in step 3, bend the wire around the needle nose. 5. Reposition your pliers so you can continue to wrap the wire around the needle nose so that the wire creates a circle. 7. Use your wire cutters to trim off the excess wire. 
Next, cut and attach chain.

Cut chains into 4 pieces in graduated lengths: 20 inches, 18 inces, 16 inches, and 15 inches (I did 15 instead of 14 because the beads I'm using on that chain are smaller. If yours are the same size as the others, then you can make it two inches shorter as well). Then place the chains on an opened jump ring,  longest to shortest and add the clasp. Close jump ring.
 Keep chains straight and put the other ends onto the other jump ring. If you want the necklace to be adjustable, you can add a short length of chain on here too. Close the jump ring.
Here's the chains all ready. 
I find it easier to work on big necklaces that involve lots of chain (that can get easily tangled) on a bust/necklace stand. If you pin the clasp to the center of the back of the neck of the bust, the chains will lay flat and will not tangle as bad while you're working. (This also prevents me from dropping my work!)
Then attach the beads.
 To attach the beads open up the simple loop of each bead by simply using your round nose pliers and pulling the loop apart. Hook it into the chain and then close the loop again. 
Start with the bottom/longest chain and work your way up. Find the center of the chain and put the first bead there. Then space them evenly outwards from that center bead. You can measure using a ruler if you like to make sure beads are evenly spaced, but I found it easier to count links in the chain. To determine how many links apart each bead should be on each chain just test out what you think looks good and allows the beads to lay correctly and then keep it consistent on that chain.  This seems tedious but it makes it look very professional.
After you finish the longest chain done, move on to the next chain up. On each chain up, be sure to line up your beads in the "windows" of the beads in the chain below. 
See how the two beads in the chain above the bottom chain are surrounding the bead on the bottom chain? Start with that and get that right and then build outwards on each chain. 
Here's the beginning of the last chain. See how all layers line up nicely?
And finished! 
I can't wait to wear it soon!! 
I hope you love this fun Ombre idea!


Linking to the parties on my sidebar including:
Making the World Cuter Monday and Liz Marie Blog and The Train to Crazy
Photobucket

50 comments:

Lisa said...

Wow love this! It looks so complicated to make, but it seems a lot easier once I read your tutorial. Thanks!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

I love this!!!!!! Great style :)

Elise Engh said...

I just have to say... this is gorgeous!

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

What a fabulous necklace!! :) Happy Wednesday! xx Holly

Allyson McGuire said...

Visiting from Show and Share - this looks so great!

Jess @ Spool and Spoon said...

I've just started dabbling in jewelry making and after this post, I'm all ready to dive in. This is gorgeous. Hmm... looks like I'm asking my husband for some of these tools for my birthday in a few weeks. Thanks for sharing!!

Kristiina said...

Love this! I'm going to have to try it one of these days. It looks great!

Jess Cox said...

This necklace is absolutely gorgeous! Your tutorial looks so simple to follow! I just might have to give it a try!

aggieam01 said...

This is so beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

The ombre necklace looks great! We'd love to feature it on CraftFoxes.com as a how-to. Interested? Feel free to email me at bethany@craftfoxes.com.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing with us at Someday Crafts today! I will be featuring your project on my round up of party favorites tonight! Please stop back in an grab a Featured at Someday Crafts Button for your blog. Thanks for the inspiration!

Just Jaime said...

LOVE! I am really wanting to make a statement necklace and this tutorial has great techniques I'll need! I pinned it!

The How-To Gal said...

Breathtakingly awesome. I love, love, love it! You make it look so easy, too. Great tutorial.

July said...

looks pretty like sunny grape)))

Britni said...

This is gorgeous! I always get frustrated when I try jewelry making because I have such a hard time with tiny little objects. I'm a dropper ;) This is really making me want to try again. You did an awesome job. I'd love for you to share this at my Throwback Thursday party. http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-3/

Hope to see you there! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Meaningful Mama said...

This is absolutely beautiful. It looks like you'd buy it in a high end store. You are so talented!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That is a beautiful piece! It looks like it is a super expensive piece. You are very talented. New follower here! :) Megan

Allison {A Glimpse Inside} said...

SO FAB! I love it! :)
Thanks for linking up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party! I'll be featuring this tomorrow! :)

Pretty Things said...

Congratulations (and it's beautiful!)

Christine@ Projects Around the House said...

Wow! This is amazing! I wish my jewelry skills were as good as your. Great tutorial, I need to start practicing these techniques.
I'm also your newest follower :)

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...

Love the colours in the necklace. So pretty!

Alison said...

WOW! I love it, especially those bottom beads. I can run to Walmart to buy beads in my star pajamas, right?

Chiwei @ One Dog Woof said...

Your necklace is really beautiful, and this detailed tutorial is great! Really takes the scariness out of jewelry making. Thank you for sharing!

Lauryn Ashli said...

wow!! this is so amazing. i love it! i'd love for you to come share it at my link party this weekend :)
{love] lauryn @ lovenotesbylauryn.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I love your project, it is so beautiful, and excellent directions too. Here from Making The World Cuter and now following :)

Hugs, Tanya
http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/

Kady said...

I am soooo making this! Great tutorial!

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

Thanks so much for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday, I featured this on my blog today! Come stop by and grab a featured button! http://www.mygirlishwhims.com/2012/07/your-whims-wednesday-70-and-features.html

Adorned From Above said...

This is a beautiful necklace and a really great tutorial. I have a link party, and I would love it if you would link this post. It is called Wednesdays Adorned From Above Link Party. You can find it at

http://www.adornedfromabove.com/2012/08/natural-translucent-face-powder-update.html

I hope to see you there. Have a great Day.
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Desiree @ The 36th AVENUE said...

Hi Allie!
Thank you so much for visiting my party last week. I am featuring you today on my blog.

Have an EXTRAORDINARY day girl!

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Thanks for linking up! I'll be featuring this on my blog on Saturday!

http://www.sumossweetstuff.com

Thanks!
Sumo:)

Stacia@feathersandsunshine said...

Holy Cow! This is the most gorgeous necklace ever! And in my have colors. I found your blog from Six Sisters Stuff, and I am so happy that I did. I am loving your blog, and just became your newest follower. I'd love for you to come check out mine too!

Stacie said...

What a pretty necklace! I don't think I wold have the patience to complete it. Have a wonderful weekend! Stacie xo

The Beading Gem said...

Stunning bib necklace! I love the graduated color approach!

Jennp1751 said...

LOVE this necklace!!!

Stephanie @ henry happened said...

how gorgeous! I just love those colors! And thank you for the detailed tutorial & great photos!

Sarah Jane said...

Saw this on Sumo's Sweet Stuff, love it! I can't wait to make one. thanks for sharing the tut!

Christine@ Projects Around the House said...

I am trying to one strandded necklace similar to the way you made this one and I got frustrated trying to make the chain lay straight so I had to take a break. I reread your tutorial and I'm going to give it another shot. You don't give lessons do you? Because I think I need some lol :)

Kanida said...

can you please sell these!!! i want one! dont think i have the patients to make one!!!!! you should totally sell them! let me know ! kfrangiadakis@gmail.com

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous - I have two questions, where did u get the beads?? I find it so hard to find big pretty beads like that and also, where did u get the manican?? Please let me know if you can, thank you! I love this!! Naturalistajewels@gmail.com

Jessica said...

I Was also wanting to know where you got the beads. I would love to make something similar for Christmas gifts,but don't know where to start to get all the materials.

jessicarwarfield at gmail dot com

Lauren said...

I would love to try this...you make it look so easy! Do you mind sharing where you get your beads?

Trilha Sonora de Casamento said...

Hiiii...
Beautiful!!!
Lindo!
Congratulations!!!
I love it!
Congratulations of Brazil!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

How much does it cost to make? So cute!!

Regina said...

I just came across this. It is beautiful and the tutorial is very clear. Thanks so much for sharing. I think I will make at least one.
http://www.regina-atthelake.blogspot.com

Stephanie said...

Hello! Can you share the dimensions of these beads? I'm hoping to replicate in another color for bridesmaids. Thank you! Stephanie (stephanie dot perry 59 at gmail dot com)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial I'll definitely be making this. Happy new year xxx

bella alice said...

Cập nhật kết quả xổ số miền nam siêu chuẩn các tỉnh xshcm xsbl và tỉnh xsag nhanh nhất, chính xác nhất hằng ngày.

Allen Jolly said...

I really like and appreciate your post.Thanks Again. Keep writing.jewellery online

Tofer said...

Where did you get your beads? I'm having trouble finding any that would fit this design. I'd love to try it!

Private tutor Lighthouse said...

Thanks for posting! I really like what you've acquired here; You should keep it up forever!Home school tutor Squirrel Hill North Best of luck

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

invisible ad